Friday, October 22, 2010

Thank You For Recycling Day at CSUSM

I was so ecstatic to be a part of "Thank You For Recycling Day" at my school! I attended last year and there was good turnout, as was the case this year. Unfortunately, I was only able to stay for about 10 minutes because I attended a Cannabis debate on Prop 19 at my school, (but that's a whole other story that doesn't really relate to this). At the hour-long event that was located at the plaza on campus, the numerous recycling awards CSUSM won were displayed and there were numerous giveaways (all made from recyclable materials, of course)! Not too mention, they served free pizza, cookies, and drinks! Bribe the masses with food and feed them the message about recycling! Haha. It proved to be quite effective! I also entered a raffle in which I had to guess how many plastic bottle caps were inside a large plastic container. Hopefully I win! Here are some photos from today's event:








Also here is a note to those who have helped me on my project:


"First of all, I would like to thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart. It really means a lot to me that you were willing to help me out despite your busy schedules and I hope I inspired you to lead a more eco-friendly lifestyle! My project is due on Monday and I have one last step before turning it in, which is this survey. Please take the time to fill out this 10-question survey for me by SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24TH AT THE LATEST! This survey is completely anonymous and I really appreciate your feedback, as I will include the results in my paper, due Monday.
This is not the last you’ll be hearing from Project Green, I intend to keep this blog going! If you are interested (which I hope you will be), stick around and continue to be a follower! I promise I will have some interesting stuff on here. I’m really passionate about the environment and I hope I have instilled some of my passion in you!

Again, I would like to thank each and every one of you for your time and effort and remember, “live green!” :) "

I will be posting another entry soon that will have a lot of interesting things on it...so STAY TUNED! :) 


Cheers,


Mayanne

2 comments:

Mayanne Atanacio said...

I just read some of the results for the survey and you guys just about made me blush...and almost cry! Aw shucks :-) Thanks everyone!

Amanda said...

You are very welcome Mayanne!

And you go San Marcos!

So I've been attending Cal State East Bay for a little over a year and this week, I found out that I've been contributing to the wellness of our environment without even knowing it.

The cups, straws, plates, utensils and trash bags that our on campus food services provide, are 100% biocompostables and biodegradable. This means that they are made from renewable sources like wheat and corn starch. They are made from plants, not petroleum (such as plastics or styrofoam). These products are non-toxic and non-polluting and by using them, we reduce the waste going into landfills because they "biodegrade in a composting system and produce nutrient-rich soil in 3-6 months." They also use less energy to produce and reduce greenhouse emissions into the atmosphere.

Major props to World Centric for making these products and for my school for incorporating them into the student's everyday life.

Check out what these products look like and read more about them at http://worldcentric.org/

Post a Comment